Monday, April 12, 2010

Black Saturday

Sigh . . . so while Tric and I were at the hash on Saturday, there was a big riot near Khao Sanh road and 21 people were killed! It was especially a blow to find out because someone had told us (wrongly) that the red shirt leaders had all been arrested and the protestors were dispersing. I realized something must be up when I started getting lots of text messages asking if I was OK.

Since BKK was pretty shut down on Sunday, Tric and I took a walk through the slum near my house. We stopped to talk to some (very poor) men who told us how sad the riot and all the deaths were for the country. Later we met some red shirt protestors on the street (who were very friendly to us and eager to pose for pictures)

In my neighborhood at Nana (where there a lot of Isanese migrants working), almost every Thai in sight had red armbands, shirts and bandanas on in support of the Red Shirts Sunday night! Lek, my bar girl friend at Big Dogs, said she had been to the rally (at Siam Square) for the past three nights.

Right now, Tric and are in Krabi (which is actually a yellow short supporting city) and looking forward to Songkran. The celebration was of course canceled at Khao Sanh Rd.

Hope everyone is well! Will try to keep you informed. We are all just kind of waiting to see what happens next . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment