Thursday, April 29, 2010

Prisoners in our own homes

Here's a great opinion piece from The Nation by an expat who lives in Ratchadamri, which happens to be inside the Red City. Several of my colleagues live in the same area. As far as I know, they have all moved out and are living back in ISB housing or with friends except for one person. An excerpt:

During this time, I have been forced to listen to the violence of red rhetoric, 24/7, up to decibel readings of 125, the brainwashing and the preaching of murder and mayhem, and their constant lies, which are an insult to human intelligence. I have witnessed anarchy on the streets and have been subject to extortion. I have had my apartment broken into. I have observed a massive build-up of weapons. I have felt threatened, ostracised and have lived in great fear. I have had no other choice but to walk home through a cesspit. I have eaten on adjacent tables to the red-shirt leaders who were feeding in 4/5-star hotels whilst the hoi polloi were roasting on the streets outside. I have constantly witnessed the police failing to do their job, whilst trying to pretend not to be red-partial

This jives well with the recollections of my coworkers who have since fled.

No comments:

Post a Comment