Thursday, May 13, 2010

Things Heating Up ...

Just returned from a jog (not in protest site but must admit not at all far ... curiosity might just kill this cat one day). Also seemed quite safe as TONS of people out rubbernecking, trying to spot the promised tanks.

First stop: overpass near Wave Place at Ploenchit BTS. It has a nice view up and down Wireless Road and also overlooks the Chidlom Barricade (which appears to have tripled in size and number of bamboo spears sticking out). Press and tourists milling around on overpass, shouting things into cell phones like, "so where are the damn tanks?" Thai TV crew had put down camera and appeared to be sleeping.

Started jogging down Wireless and i-Pod began in characteristic bastard fashion to malfunction. Shut off i-Pod and immediately heard noise that I assumed was fireworks. In back of mind, wondered if it could be gunfire, but figured if it was anything it was probably protestors shooting rockets at a helicopter. Though no helicopters around, really.

Passed barricade to Sarasin Rd, which was open. Looked like the entrance to a haunted house, all red and black with Abhisit effigy and a few buffalos made out of trash bags. And lots of signs in Thai which I of course can't read. Meh.

So here's the really freaky part ... got down to the corner of Rama IV and Silom (in front of Suan Lum Night Bazaar). There were tons of rubberneckers standing on the road island and another crowd in front of the Bazaar, including some press. As I turned down Rama IV, I ran (almost immediately) into a group of soldiers hiding behind a line of port-o-potties, gripping their guns. Then in front of them I noticed about six soldiers huddled behind a sandbag wall, aiming their guns down Silom. They looked very ... focused. Like some monster was about to come out of the dark down there. Though I would swear one of them was wearing an i-Pod.

I turned around and immediately one of the port-o-potty guys pointed the other way, as if to say, go back. Though he didn't bother a bunch of Thai teenagers that were heading off in the same direction.

As I went back through the intersection, a truck came by. A bunch of protestors (I think? Not in actual red shirts) were screaming at the rubberneckers and causing a bit of a panic. They were waving their arms like, get away! Well, you don't have to tell this white girl twice. I took off (through the traffic I must admit, I was just the tiniest bit panicky) and ran home the back way through tobacco monopoly.

On my way home, I passed a large police convoy with flashing lights, caught in traffic. They appeared to be headed for Asok, but traffic was terrible, so they cut through the government buildings near Queen Sirikit. I ran beside them down an alley. Some little kids were out watching on the porch and were going absolutely crackers, like they had their very own parade.

Came home through Tobacco Monopoly and checked Twitter. Sure enough, in the hour I was out, there had been ...

- Gun shots
- Fireworks (so not sure which one I actually heard)
- Explosions
- Seh Daeng (General Kittaya, Royal Army General turned Red Shirt leader) had been shot in the head

Meanwhile, TV programming went as usual, although they did break in to say that Gen. Seh Daeng was dead (which was apparently not so).

Ah, Thailand.

EDITED: Whaddayaknow, Seh Daeng was shot in a class with police about 600 m up from the port-o-potty soldiers. I've added to my map if you want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment